Tuesday, May 11, 2010

You Won't Reach It on Tiptoe

"The knowledge that God has loved me to the uttermost, to the end of all my sin and meanness and selfishness and wrong, will send me forth into the world to love in the same way" -- Oswald.

When I comprehend my own sin, gratitude for God's grace is produced in my soul, and I am enabled (again, only by God's Spirit) to extend that grace to others. When I am unforgiving toward others, I manifest a devaluing of God's grace brought on (at least in part) by my failure to appreciate the extent of my own sinfulness.

Gratitude is key. The two greatest commandments might be re-phrased like this: Open your eyes, Barb, to see how truly wonderful God is and how he has personally touched your life with that goodness. Now, show him your heart of gratitude by extending that goodness to others.

And, so, in my pursuit of God, I must begin to practice gratitude.

A beginning: Thank you, God, for the man lying next to me in bed this morning. Thank you that, in the midst of my fear and sadness and misdirected pursuits of acceptance, he stands firm as a mini-reflection of your unwavering love. For over 27 years, he has said in word and deed, "You have value, Barb." I am so very grateful.

May my gratitude stay at the forefront of my mind and shape my life today.

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. I love you Barbie--and I have loved you for more than half my life--

    ReplyDelete