Friday, May 7, 2010

Building for Eternity

Over the years, I have repeatedly upbraided myself for not counting the costs. I did not really think about the cost of putting half a continent between me and my extended family when my husband and I were raising young children. I did not think about the long-term costs of being a stay-at-home mom for sixteen plus years. I wouldn't do the mom thing differently if I had, but still, I never imagined the cost would be so high. I was completely unprepared for the lack of respect I would encounter in the working world, and I thought I'd be OK with leaving my children to finance college on their own -- the price of my being home all those years -- but when the time came, I wasn't OK with it at all.

Oswald's first line came as a huge relief to me: "Our Lord refers not to a cost we have to count, but to a cost He has counted." I'm not sure I could always bear the weight of the costs upfront. Thankfully, I don't have to because he already has.


StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment