Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Judgment on the Abyss of Love

"Every element of self-reliance must be slain by the power of God. Complete weakness and dependence will always be the occasion for the Spirit of God to manifest His power" -- Oswald.

Just before I read Oswald today, one of my co-workers came into my office and shared this same basic thought with me. I have found that when God really wants to make sure I get something, he shares the same message in several different ways or maybe he's always doing that, and I'm just catching on some of the time. At any rate, I'm going to be meditating on this idea today. I'll be back . . .

7 p.m. Wow! I didn't see that coming. It's so nice when things can just stay theoretical, but nope. This lesson hit me full force and rolled right over me. No question, I am feeling completely weak and desperately dependent. I've got nothin'.

9 p.m. I called a friend for help in getting perspective. We discussed a few things: 1) How Aslan peels the dragon's skin from Eustace in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: "The very first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I've ever felt." 2) The difference between realizing your weakness and self-pity. How self-pity is like a thread spiraling downward and inward, but humility causes you to fly like a lark up to God for nourishment and protection. 3) The need for confidence and resilience and where they come from: "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever," Psalm 73:26. He is my Mediator, my Defender. I can turn to him when I've been wounded, and he will make me whole.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment