Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Realm of the Real

"There are certain things we must not pray about -- moods, for instance" -- Oswald.

Wow! Seriously, Oswald? I totally -- 100 percent -- disagree. I don't think there is anything we shouldn't pray about. I might have it totally wrong. I might be whiny and petulant. I might be trying to coerce God into my way of thinking, my plan. I might be blaming God for that which my own sin created. I might be angry and cursing my brother. I still think it better to go to God with all of that. He is here. He knows me. How can it be better not to talk to him about it.

Admittedly, a kick in the pants might work, too. Mowing the lawn or digging in the ground -- the jobs to which I am headed right after this -- often work wonders for my blue moods. While I push that mower back and forth, however, I plan on praying at the same time.

I don't think prayer could ever be the wrong thing to do.

StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you Barb, I think Oswald is talking out both sides of his mouth on this one. It is often times up to us to change our attitudes, but we are almost always able to do it because we pray. In prayer God shows us how or why we should change our so called moods. Also, where is the confidence in the holy spirit, Oswald?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you and Dawn. I'm so curious how Oswald could have justified this one, except that people who struggle with moods, often believe (in error) that nothing can be done to affect mood. In his quest for God's heart, could it be possible that Oswald erred in believing that his moods would only pass as his heart was bent toward God? Even so, it is just slightly arrogant in my view to pronounce what may and what may not be prayed over. "Pray without ceasing, and in everything give thanks to God" paraphrase, but as I recall this verse, no qualifications about the content of unceasing prayer. Hope the lawn got mowed in semi-straight lines :)

    ReplyDelete