Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Initiative Against Depression

I love the normalcy with which Oswald addresses depression. Rocks don't get depressed. People do. It results naturally from having a full range of emotions. Just as we have the capacity for ecstasy, we have the capacity for despondency. It doesn't mean we are low on faith or spiritually weak. We shouldn't beat ourselves up for being depressed. As crazy as it sounds, I do it all the time, and believe me, it is counterproductive.

I also love the ironic truth in Oswald's prescription. When I am down, I despise what I see as the mundane and meaningless tasks of my life. The sheer volume of them mocks my hunger for significance. How can one imagine she is special and talented while she folds underwear, vacuums cat hair and washes grease off of pots? And yet, the rhythm and familiarity of those same tasks brings healing.

Oswald makes one important distinction -- motivation. If we engage in the ordinary tasks of life -- making dinner, cleaning the toilet -- out of duty or in order to alleviate our depression, we will deepen it. But if we turn to God, listen for his Spirit, and obey his simple commonplace commands, he will lift our spirit.


StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. You are special & talented. I've seen it, read it & lived with all that it embodies...which is you. And I love you more than ever.

    ReplyDelete