Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Determination to Serve

Don't you hate it when you know you're identifying with the wrong characters in one of Jesus' stories -- like the older brother in the prodigal son parable or the grumbling laborers in the vineyard at the beginning of Matthew 20 from which today's verse comes? These men have done manual labor since early morning, and then some guys come along at the very end of the day, work for an hour, and get paid the same amount as the guys who started at 6 a.m. No wonder they cry foul, and yet, Jesus said the kingdom of heaven is like this landowner.

The rest of Matthew 20 includes Jesus' prediction of his own death, the mother of James and John coming to Jesus to request top positions for her sons in his kingdom, Jesus' explanation of what it means to lead through service, and finally, Christ giving sight to two blind men sitting on the side of a road -- men whom the crowd were attempting to silence.

Jesus often offends our sensibilities of what is right. I'm inclined to get caught up in the parable at the beginning, but the whole chapter is anchored (as is the entire gospel) by two verses in the middle: "The Son of Man will be betrayed . . . They will condemn him to death and will turn him over to the Gentiles to be mocked and flogged and crucified. On the third day he will be raised to life!" (vv. 17-19) And I'm worried about a few underpaid/overpaid workers. When God becomes man and, in the middle of ministering to the weak and blind and hungry, is nailed to a cross in absolute hatred, fair and sensible go out the window. Throw away the old rules. We're playing a whole new game. And that, I think, is the point.

We are dealing with the Creator of the Universe. It all belongs to him -- all the resources, all the power -- and there is no shortage to his generosity. I must not insist upon a day's wages for a day's labor. I must not begrudge my brother God's abundant gifts, and I must not demand my due. That's part of the old system. By which we all came up short. Jesus ushered in a new one.

"Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (v. 28).


StumbleUpon.com

2 comments:

  1. Sooo good. This is the kind of smack in the face that feels really good to me. It's radical to the world. Not that I like unfairness, but I can just bask in God's truth and how different it is from the world's truth. Even when it's painful.

    I get this same smack in the face with Bonhoeffer's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Barb. Thanks for reinforcing the truth. I appreciate your continuing with this project. I love Oswald and find it even more engaging to read him along with your comments.

    ReplyDelete