Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Destitution of Service

"Natural love expects some return" -- Oswald. I'm not sure I love anyone without some expectation of return. My love for my children comes closest, but even with them, there has always been reward for my efforts. Before they could verbalize or even really give hugs, they nuzzled my shoulder, and before that, there were bubbly smiles, and before that was the innate response of their bodies next to mine. Now, there are actual thanks and phone calls and thoughtful gifts on occasion -- although I confess long intervals and umpteen loads of laundry can pass between acknowledgments. I wonder how long my love would last without some measure of return.

Paul says that he does not care whether the Corinthians love him or not. He also does not care what his love for them costs him. I have been trying to ignore Oswald's use of the phrase "broken and poured out" for days. It seems severe, unreasonable, extravagant, but Oswald repeats it again and again. Though I wish to dismiss it as quaint and from another time, I cannot. Paul and Oswald (and, in fact, Christ) seem to be saying: "I want you to love your child, your neighbor, your co-worker, your enemy even, without regard for their treatment of or attitude toward you. I want you to break open your own soul for them, be honest, be transparent, be vulnerable to them. I want you to serve them at great cost to yourself. Don't be concerned with how they or anyone else perceives you. You might look like a fool. Who cares? Love recklessly and with abandon."

This is very hard indeed. I am not up to the task, and yet, the call remains.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment