Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Voice of the Nature of God

"The call of God is the expression of God's nature" -- Oswald.

When Oswald focused on this same passage (Isaiah 6) a couple days ago, the emphasis seemed to be on the verses following verse 8 or Isaiah's response to God's call. Today the emphasis seems to be on the verses preceding verse 8 or the nature of the one who is calling. Isaiah saw the Lord seated on his throne, surrounded by seraphim who were shouting: "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of hosts. The whole earth is full of His glory," and he was changed to his core: "Woe is me, for I am ruined! . . . my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts."

The call on Isaiah's life begins with a vision of God, and I think that's where God's call on my life must begin, as well. Not with the call itself -- wife, mother, writer, counselor, teacher . . . Not with my talents and circumstances -- the need for money, my skills as a writer, the desires of my heart . . . but with God. I must seek him, pursue him, gaze upon him until I am changed to my core. The call itself is nothing unless I understand the nature of the One who calls.

I believe Scripture is the primary source for this revelation of God's nature, and I must seek him there, but "the whole earth is full of His glory." I will seek him and listen for him in my everyday life, as well.

"We must learn to listen to the cock-crows and hammering and tick-tock of our lives for the holy and elusive word that is spoken to us out of their depths" -- Frederick Buechner.

Seeking and listening -- may it be the pattern of my life.

Barbara

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment