Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Have You Ever Been Alone with God?

"We have to get rid of the idea that we understand ourselves; it is the last conceit to go. The only One Who understands us is God" -- Oswald.

He understands me, and when I am alone with him, he will reveal me to myself. For my part, I cannot simply cling to what I would like to be true of me. I have to be willing to look at my own soul with courage, and I can have that courage because the One who reveals my innermost thoughts, desires and feelings also loves me deeply.

Somehow, I wasn't wild about the tone of today's reading. For me, it had a bit of that "wait until your father gets home" sound to it. Wait until he gets you alone; then he'll show you how wicked you really are. But reading Oswald in context, I do not think that can be what he really intended. The concept of being loved and understood and having a loving guide through the quagmire of my own soul is actually very comforting.

Barbara


StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment