Thursday, January 21, 2010

Recall What God Remembers

Oswald's opening question took me by surprise: "Am I as spontaneously kind to God as I used to be, or am I only expecting God to be kind to me?" Kind to God -- I have never really thought in those terms. I consciously strive to be kind to other people, but I have never imagined God needing my kindness -- or caring about it.

Oswald takes the word "kind" from the King James Version of Jeremiah 2:2. God is instructing Jeremiah: "Go and cry in the ears of Jerusalem, saying: 'Thus saith the Lord, I remember thee, the kindness of thy youth, the love of thine espousals, when thou wentest after me in the wilderness, in a land that was not sown.'" My NIV translation uses the word "devotion," which doesn't strike me the same way. Of course I'm supposed to be devoted to God, but kind?

For some reason, kindness translates into gestures in my mind: Waking up and acknowledging his presence, "Good morning, God." Inviting him to go with me to dinner or the movies. Considering his feelings and, as Oswald suggests, what he likes and doesn't like. Pointedly thanking him for his gifts, complimenting his good work, and keeping my eyes open for some small thing he might like. Sending a "just because" or "thinking of you" note.

Kindness requires thought, and being kind to God frames him as a Person -- not a human being, but a Person. Today, I will be kind to God.

Barbara

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment