Thursday, January 28, 2010

Persecuting Jesus

"The Spirit of Jesus is conscious of one thing only -- a perfect oneness with the Father, and He says, 'Learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in heart.' All I do ought to be founded on a perfect oneness with Him, not on a self-willed determination to be godly" -- Oswald.

The only appropriate response seems to be a prayer:

Dear God, I'm afraid the words "self-willed," "obstinate," and "rebellious spirit" could all be used to describe me at times -- one of which was yesterday as I was listening to a speaker whose message irked me. I stayed in my seat (barely) but I did not meekly submit. I do not want to experience the crushing revelation that I have been persecuting your son -- although if I am, perhaps the revelation is the only thing that will pierce me to change.

Jesus, I want to learn from you, to be meek and lowly in heart, to follow your example as described in Philippians 2, where Paul says that though you are God, you did not assert your rights to be regarded as such. Rather you freely gave up the throne of heaven and joined your creation as a servant. You humbled yourself to wash your disciples' feet, feed them breakfast, die a criminal's death. I, on the other hand, am in love with recognition. For today, Lord, help me to lay it down, to serve my co-workers, to serve my family, to give up the need to be right or to be recognized as such.

Father God, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit, lift my head today. Remind me to look up and permit me to experience oneness with you. Amen.

Barbara


StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment