Thursday, July 29, 2010

What Do You See in Your Clouds?

"Is the relationship between myself and God getting simpler than ever it has been?"

I think so. I am less sure of many things. Less dogmatic. Less willing to argue. But I think in becoming less sure of many things I am becoming more sure of the one thing that really matters -- God's presence in my life.

I read a quote the other day about suffering and trials obscuring our view of God the way the clouds obscure the sun: "Measure not God's love and favor by your own feeling. The sun shines as clearly in the darkest day as it does in the brightest. The difference is not in the sun, but in some clouds which hinder the manifestation of the light thereof," Richard Sibbes (English theologian from the 1600's).

Oswald, however, puts a different spin on the clouds, describes them as a necessary companion to God's glory. We could not behold him directly. Through the clouds, we unlearn what we thought we knew.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment