Wednesday, July 7, 2010

All Noble Things Are Difficult

Easy. If I'm being honest, I must admit that "easy" holds a world of attraction to me. I am always wanting things to be easier -- making dinner, gardening, writing, parenting, relationships. If only they weren't so damn hard. Yes, I know that by lots of standards my life is easy, but I don't think that's the really important point.

In literature, in history, the easy road is never the best one. The characters who undergo hardship are the ones you admire, the ones with integrity and depth and a sense of humor. The characters with the easy lives, the ones who have everything handed to them, are shallow, spoiled, insipid.

Trials build perseverance and perseverance character and character . . . I do not want to be shallow, spoiled and insipid. I will try to stop wishing, at every single turn, that life was easier.

StumbleUpon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment