Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Account with Persecution

"We are always looking for justice; the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is, Never look for justice but never cease to give it" -- Oswald.

Do justice but love mercy. Don't seek to defend myself. Allow people to malign me. Do not malign them in return. When I allow my reputation to take the blow, I protect Jesus. These are hard words -- words that run counter to every last bit of my nature. And I might be prepared to fight against them -- to re-state the well-known verbiage against acting like door mats -- except that I have recently seen the truth of them manifest in a co-worker.

She's being "let go," a gentle euphemism for a devastating act. She's a single mom with four kids to support, and she could certainly make an argument for injustice, but she has not. She has handled the whole affair with grace. She has been maligned, but by and large, she has not maligned in return. Her reputation, her career, has taken the blow. She has not lashed out in revenge or attempted to fight for her rights. When I compliment her strength and express doubt about whether I could be so noble, she says, "It's God. I just keep reminding myself that my worth comes from him."

His character comes forth, and as a side benefit, so does hers.

StumbleUpon.com

1 comment:

  1. You are such a gifted writer, Barb. I couldn't agree with your words more. debi

    ReplyDelete